Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My new obsession - broccoli cheese soup!

I've recently ventured back into the world of soup, with one of my favorites being broccoli cheese soup. Unfortunately this flavor is usually one of the most fattening, so I improvised my own lower fat version of it, which I thought I'd share.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 an onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups fat free half and half
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar
Grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper

Sauté the onions and carrots in the olive oil until soft and set aside.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan, mix in the flour and cook for a few minutes, stirring to avoid burning. Slowly add the half and half, then add the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer then leave simmering for 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli and the sautéed vegetables and continue to simmer until broccoli is soft.

Blend using an immersion blender, or in batches in the blender, and return to the pot. Stir in the cheddar and add salt and pepper to taste.

Voilà! Serve with some nice crusty white bread.

I haven't found a low fat alternative to the butter yet, as I don't like using products that are filled with chemicals, but it's not that much divided over 4 portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment